The Technical Museum
Zagreb's Technical museum and its 60 year tradition proudly follows the footsteps of the great science and technology museums of the world. It is one of the cities' gems.
The Technical Museum in Zagreb is definitely one of the most famous museums in the country and a favourite of many.
The idea of establishing such a museum dates back to the late 19th century.There was even a Trades & Crafts Museum established in Zagreb for some time, but the real Technical Museum's history began on December 21st 1954. when it was finally decided to establish.
Since 1959., when it was relocated to its today's location, the museum invests a lot of effort into popularising science and technology. They organize lectures, workshops, presentations, festivals both for grown ups and kids.
ExhibitionsThanks to the warehouse it is located in, the Technical museum has a lot of space for a wide and selection of exhibits.
- Energy Transformation
- Demonstrates the historic development of inventions and solutions for converting less valuable forms of energy into more useful forms to humans.
- Means of Transportation
- Offers a chronological journey through the development of water, land, and air transportation. The display predominantly features original items, including the pocket-size submarine Mališan CB-20 from 1943, airplanes from the first half of the 20th century (Bücker Jungmann, Trojka, DAR-9, Aero-3, Thunderbolt..), the popular Samoborček (train) locomotive from 1930, a Dubrovnik tram car from 1912, the motor sled constructed by Zagreb mechanic Marko Knez from 1931, and several old automobiles (the Renault NN from 1926, the Mercedes-Benz S from 1927, and a Hansa from 1939).
- Astronautics Department with a Planetarium
- Features models of famous spacecraft, rocket-carriers, and orbit stations that illustrate the early development of astronautics. The greatest attraction is the Planetarium where, with the help of a specially constructed projector, visitors can view the starry sky from the North Pole to the Equator at any time of the night and in any season.
- Centred around the methods that our ancestors used to find ores and minerals. A special attraction is the 350 m long model mine, built below the Museum, which illustrates the history of mining in Croatia.
- Essential Agriculture
- Focuses on different technical implements that were used for digging and ploughing with a collection of Specimen Glass Bee-Hives with Live Bees
- Fire-Fighting Department
- Illustrated by original items, including hand and motor-powered hoses, horse-drawn fire fighting vehicles, ladders, piping, sprayers, and other fire fighting equipment.
- Demonstration Cabinet of Nikola Tesla
- Visitors can observe a rotating magnetic field, Tesla's high frequency transformers, the wireless transfer of electromagnetic oscillations, a remote-controlled ship, Tesla's turbine, etc. Not only do visitors watch the experiments, but they may also take part in them if they wish.
General useful information
- Taking photographs is allowed for personal use only
- Disabled access is available for departments located at the Museum's ground-floor
- Getting to the Museum is possible by local trams N° 9, 12, 13, 14, and 17
- Museum's publications, badges, and postcards can be purchased at the cashier's desk
- There is a public parking lot in the Museum's immediate vicinity
Tuesday - Friday 09:00 - 17:00
Saturday and Sunday 9:00 - 13:00
Closed on Mondays
Address & contact details
Street: Savska cesta 18